Monday, June 15, 2009

Influenza

This morning was a rough one. I struggled out of bed and into the shower, got dressed and drove to work. I'd been sick all weekend with some crazy sore throat/headache thing, but I figured it would go away soon because I took DayQuil a couple hours before. I don't know why...never once have I taken DayQuil and felt better. It's always the NyQuil, ya know? You (by 'you' I mean me) drink half the bottle then pass out on the floor and wake up the next day feeling refreshed and ready to take on the day. I couldn't do that on a worknight.

Anyway
, I didn't feel well so I went to see a doctor. Oh man, was she a winner. She was older, probably late 40's, glasses and dyed hair in this weird blonde/brown/red trifecta of ugliness. She was also borderline retarded. Let's call her Helen. The nurse that checked on me before Helen entered had gathered that I had either the flu or strep. I was thrilled to learn I had the influenza. Then Helen told me what my prescription would be and started talking about the H1N1 (aka swine flu) and saying that I may have it. Then she said I may not and they don't test for it. Then she gave a puzzled look and started scribbling on her notepad. I asked her straight, "Do I actually have swine flu?" to which she replied "Sure." Very comforting.

Anyway, it looks like I should be over whichever form of the flu I have in a few days. It sucks being sick because I feel like crap, obviously, and I've been sweating like a whore in church (or a bicyclist on a hot summer's day for the light-hearted) for no reason. I'm also wearing a mask everywhere to keep from getting the wife and kiddo sick. At least I'm not sicker than I am and have seen the reports on KSL of deaths due to the swine flu in Salt Lake County. I'm lucky and thankful that's not me.

Other than that things are going excellent for this Andrew. I get my biannual bonus this week which is kick-ass. This weekend is Father's Day so that's exciting. Arkansas is in the College World Series and plays this Saturday. Also, the new Jonas Brothers album drops tomorrow. This week rocks my pants.

1 comment: